Kudos to the Chamber of Commerce. Finally.
The Madang Chamber of Commerce is not in favour of the Pacific Marine Industrial Zone moving ahead unless the following is done first:
· There should be very open and very public meetings to hear the true feelings of all the people in Madang about this project – The National Government has held meetings by invitation only.
· An independent environmental study should be commissioned by the National and or the Madang Provincial Government. When this is completed it should be made public.
· The National government should show the people of Madang that there is sufficient infrastructure (telephone, electricity, police, health care) in place for such a large project to go ahead.
· There should be sufficient meetings and agreements between the traditional landowners and the National Government so that the landowners understand how they will benefit from this project. This has not been done to this point.
· If the provisions made public though rumors and news about the loan the National Government is taking from the Bank of China are true, then government must explain this. From the information the Madang Chamber of Commerce has, the loan will be given under the condition that only Chinese owned companies are allowed to participate.
· The National Government must make public a plan for the PMIZ that shows how it will improve the lives of the people of